|(19) & (20) are proposed Pedestrian Zones|
along 35th Ave NE.
Wedgwood - North
Yes = 70%
No = 9%
Unsure = 20%
Wedgwood - South
Yes = 69%
No = 17%
Unsure = 15%
This designation would include adopting rules that would only apply to those parcels within the Pedestrian Zone which would be enforced as those properties redevelop. The City has posted draft rules, intended to create a safer and more inviting pedestrian retail environment within the Pedestrian Zones, which include:
- Require buildings to have pedestrian-oriented businesses (e.g., shops and restaurants on the ground floor)
- Enhance pedestrian safety with rules on parking and driveway placement
- Waive some parking requirements to encourage businesses to move into the area
The City is also considering rules that would:
- Require overhead weather protection for new buildings
- Limit businesses with drive-in lanes on the edges of pedestrian zones.
- Establish a minimum size for new development in areas designated as "Urban Centers, "Urban Villages" or "Station Overlay Districts" (Note: 35th Ave NE is not designated as such.)
No decision has been made by the City as the survey and its results are still only part of the public engagement process. Over next couple of months, the City will be finalizing its analysis and recommendations. But if the majority of those who responded to the Wedgwood - North and Wedgwood - South areas have anything to say, they may be designated in the future.