The Washington Chapter of the American Planning Association’s Community Planning Assistance Team (CPAT) hosted a series of “Coffee Talks" for our community along 35th Ave NE.
These Coffee Talks were a series of community learning opportunities to help educate ourselves and our community on planning elements that will impact the success of our neighborhood planning. The intent of these Coffee Talks are to learn about key concepts eluded to in the Vision Plan that could help guide the community-led neighborhood planning process.
COFFEE TALK SCHEDULE
- Coffee Talk 1: Creating the Conditions to Support Neighborhood Businesses (completed) Speakers: Theresa Barreras, Seattle Office of Economic Development’s (OED’s) “Only in Seattle” Initiative and Wendy Schwartz, former owner of Fresh Boutique.
- Coffee Talk 2: "Making a Neighborhood Walkable and the Importance of Proximity" (completed) Speakers: Paula Reeves from WSDOT’s Safe Routes to School Program; Kevin O’Neil, transportation planning manager from SDOT; and Lisa Quinn, the Executive Director of Feet First; and will be facilitated by the UW Urban Planning Department.
- Coffee Talk 3: “Design at a Human Scale. A Primer on Urban Design Concepts and City of Seattle Design Review Guidelines” - Thursday, April 26th at Wedgwood Presbyterian Church (completed) from 7-8:30PM. Speakers: John Owen, Makers Architecture and Urban Design and Cheryl Sizov, Senior Urban Planner with City of Seattle DPD.
- Coffee Talk 4: ”Place-making and Successful Streetscape Features” ( (completed) – Speaker: Brice Maryman, SvR Design
- Coffee Talk 5: ”Density and its Benefits” – Thursday, June 21st, at Temple Beth Shalom (Sanctuary) from 7-8:30PM – Speaker: Catherine Benotto, Weber + Thompson Architects
- Coffee Talk 6: “Financial realities of development. Incentivizing successful development” – (completed). - Speaker: Ellen Miller-Wolfe, Economic Development Director for the City of Kirkland
- Coffee Talk 7: ”The Trade Offs of Land Use Planning” – (completed) - Speaker: Bill LaPatra, AIA, LEED AP, Mithun